"Come to us, youth, tell us truly why there is madness in your eyes?"
"I know not what wine of wild poppy I have drunk, that there is this madness in my eyes."
"我不知道我喝了什么野罂粟花酒,使我的眼带着疯癫。"
"Ah, shame!"
"呵,多难为情!"
"Well, some are wise and some foolish, some are watchful and some careless. There are eyes that smile and eyes that weep——and madness is in my eyes."
"好吧,有的人聪明有的人愚拙,有的人细心有的人马虎。有的眼睛会笑,有的眼睛会哭——我的眼睛是带着疯癫的。"
"Youth, why do you stand so still under the shadow of the tree?"
"青年人,你为什么这样凝立在树影下呢?"
"My feet are languid with the burden of my heart, and I stand still in the shadow."
"我的脚被我沉重的心压得疲倦了,我就在树影下凝立着。"
Ah, shame!"
"呵,多难为情!"
"Well, some march on their way and some linger, some are free and some are fettered——and my feet are languid with the burden of my heart."
"好吧,有人一直行进,有人到外流连,有的人是自由的,有的人是锁住的——我的脚被我沉重的心压得疲倦了。"
26
"What comes from
"从你慷慨的手里所付予的,我都接受。我别无所求。"
"Yes, yes, I know you, modest mendicant, you ask for all that one has."
"是了,是了,我懂得你,谦卑的乞丐,你是乞求一个人的一切所有。"
"If there be a stray flower for me I will wear it in my heart."
"若是你给我一朵残花,我也要把它戴在心上。"
"But if there be thorns?"
"若是那花上有刺呢?"
"I will endure them."
"我就忍受着。"
"Yes, yes, I know you, modest mendicant, you ask for all that one has."
"是了,是了,我懂得你,谦卑的乞丐,你是乞求一个人的一切所有。"
"If but once you should raise your loving eyes to my face it would make my life sweet beyond death."
"如果你只在我脸上瞥来一次爱怜的眼光,就会使我的生命直到死后还是甜蜜的。"
"But if there be only cruel glances?"
"假如那只是残酷的眼色呢?"
"I will keep them piercing my heart."
"我要让它永远穿刺我的心。"
"Yes, yes, I know you, modest mendicant, you ask for all that one has."
"是了,是了,我懂得你,谦卑的乞丐,你是乞求一个人的一切所有。"
27
"Trust love even if it brings sorrow. Do not close up your heart."
"即使爱只给你带来了哀愁,也信任它。不要把你的心关起。"
"Ah no, my friend, your words are dark, I cannot understand them."
"呵,不,我的朋友,你的话语太隐晦了,我不懂得。"
"The heart is only giving away with a tear and a song, my love."
"心是应该和一滴眼泪、一首诗歌一起送给人的,我爱。"
"Ah no, my friend, your words are dark, I cannot understand them."
"呵,不,我的朋友,你的话语太隐晦了,我不懂得。"
"Pleasure is frail like a dewdrop, while it laughs it dies. But sorrow is strong and abiding. Let sorrowful love wake in your eyes."
"喜乐像露珠一样地脆弱,它在欢笑中死去。哀愁却是坚强而耐久。让含愁的爱在你眼中醒起吧。"
"Ah no, my friend, your words are dark, I cannot understand them."
"呵,不,我的朋友,你的话语太隐晦了,我不懂得。"
"The lotus blooms in the sight of the sun, and loses all that it has. It would not remain in bud in the eternal winter mist."
"荷花在日中开放,丢掉了自己的一切所有。在永生的冬雾里,它将不再含苞。"
"Ah no, my friend, your words are dark, I cannot understand them."
"呵,不,我的朋友,你的话语太隐晦了,我不懂得。"
28
Your questioning eyes are sad. They seem to know my meaning as the moon would fathom the sea.
你的疑问的眼光是含愁的。它要追探了解我的意思,好像月亮探测大海。
I have bared my life before your eyes from end to end, with nothing hidden or held back. That is why you know me not.
我已经把我生命的终始,全部暴露在你的眼前,没有任何隐秘和保留。因此你不认识我。
If it were only a gem I could break it into a hundred pieces and string them into a chain to put on your neck.
假如它是一块宝石,我就能把它碎成千百颗粒,穿成项链挂在你的颈上。
If it were only a flower, round and small and sweet, I could pluck it from its stem to set it in your hair.
假如它是一朵花,圆圆小小香香的,我就能从枝上采来戴在你的发上。
But it is a heart, my beloved. Where are its shores and its bottom?
但是它是一颗心,我的爱人。何处是它的边和底?
You know not the limits of this kingdom, still you are its queen.
你不知道这个王国的边极,但你仍是这王国的女王。
If it were only a moment of pleasure it would flower in an easy smile, and you could see it and read it in a moment.
假如它是片刻的欢娱,它将在喜笑中开花,你立刻就会看到、懂得了。
If it were merely a pain it would melt in limpid tears, reflecting its inmost secret without a word.
假如它是一阵痛苦,它将融化成晶莹眼泪,不着一字地反映出它最深的秘密。
But it is love, my beloved.
但是它是爱,我的爱人。
Its pleasure and pain are boundless, and endless its wants and wealth.
它的欢乐和痛苦是无边的,它的需求和财富是无尽的。
It is as near to you as your life, but you can never wholly know it.
它和你亲近得像你的生命一样,但是你永远不能完全了解它。
29
Speak to me, my love! Tell me in words what you sang.
对我说吧,我爱!用言语告诉我你唱的是什么。
The night is dark. The stars are lost in clouds. The wind is sighing through the leaves.
夜是深黑的,星星消失在云里,风在叶丛中叹息。
I will let loose my hair. My blue cloak will cling round me like night. I will clasp your head to my bosom; and there in the sweet loneliness murmur on your heart. I will shut my eyes and listen. I will not look in your face.
我将披散我的头发,我的青蓝的披风将像黑夜一样地紧裹着我。我将把我的头紧抱在胸前:在甜柔的寂寞中在你心头低诉。我将闭目静听。我不会看望你的脸。
When your words are ended, we will sit still and silent. Only the trees will whisper in the dark.
等到你的话说完了,我们将沉默凝坐。只有丛树在黑暗中微语。
The night will pale. The day will dawn. We shall look at each other's eyes and go on our different paths.
夜将发白。天光将晓。我们将望望彼此的眼睛,然后各走各的路。
Speak to me, my love! Tell me in words what you sang.
对我说话吧,我爱!用言语告诉我你唱的是什么。
30
You are the evening cloud floating in the sky of my dreams.
你是一朵夜云,在我梦幻中的天空浮泛。
I paint you and fashion
我永远用爱恋的渴想来描画你。
You are my own, my own, Dweller in my endless dreams!
你是我一个人的,我一个人的,我无尽的梦幻中的居住者!
Your feet are rosy-red with the glow of my heart's desire, Gleaner of my sunset songs!
你的双脚被我心切望的热光染得绯红,我的落日之歌的搜集者!
Your lips are bitter-sweet with the taste of my wine of pain.
我的痛苦之酒使你的唇儿苦甜。
You are my own, my own, Dweller in my lonesome dreams!
你是我一个人的,我一个人的,我寂寥的梦幻中的居住者!
With the shadow of my passion have I darken your eyes, Haunter of the depth of my gaze!
我用热情的浓影染黑了你的眼睛;我的凝视深处的崇魂!
I have caught you and wrapt you, my love, in the net of my music.
我捉住了你,缠住了你,我爱,在我音乐的罗网里。
You are my own, my own, Dweller in my deathless dreams!
你是我一个人的,我一个人的,我永生的梦幻中的居住者!
31
My heart, the bird of the wilderness,